I love when my kids get involved in the kitchen. One of the best kids’ book with activities to keep them busy is the Ultimate Book of Kid Concoctions. We have had this book since my oldest (now 13) was just a few years old. This one (there are three total) keeps my kids busy for hours and hours experimenting in the kitchen.
And yes, sometimes they make a heck of a mess, but I make them clean it up. They are now 13, 10 and 7 and certainly old enough to clean up after themselves.
Here is the recipe:
Now you can easily create cool and tasty treats that your favorite canine friend will love.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup corn meal
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1 medium egg
1 cup water
HOW TO CONCOCT IT:
1. Mix all ingredients together, except the 1/3 cup of the Parmesan cheese. Knead until thoroughly mixed.
2. Roll the dough mixture into 3-inch pencil-sized sticks.
3. Roll the dog treats into the remaining Parmesan cheese.
4. If you are making stick-shaped treats, twist the sticks 3-4 times. Then place the treats on an ungreased baking sheet.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
Store dog treats in an airtight container. One batch yields 18-20 small treats.
CONCOCTION TIPS & IDEAS:
• Use cookie cutters to create Doggy Treats in the shape of animals or dog bones.
• Knead in 8-10 drops of food coloring to add variety to your treats.
Other fillings: My boys decided to add cheddar cheese inside the treats. I also had some leftover ham fat in the freezer in tiny pieces. We added a little bit of the ham fat into some other ones as well. Our dog Tiger loves these treats and can’t get enough of them.
Home-made doggie treats made with love = one happy doggie! ♥What home-made treats have you made for your pup?
Thanks so much for stopping by and I hope you enjoy making these treats. 🙂
I’m linking up with Rae Gun Ramblings, French Country Cottage, Foy Update, Chef in Training, Tutorial Tuesday and My Repurposed Life.